"And when it's over I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to
amazement. I was the bridegroom taking the world into my arms." Mary Oliver


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

This Is For the Ones We Loved

Hello all,

So I am down to two weeks left in Ghana, and unsurprisingly, my schedule is packed with finals and various activities--mainly gift buying, and having maybe more fun than ever before with my Ghanaian friends. I speak specifically of my neighbors, who not only made Elena and I dinner last week (rice and vegetable stew, that I am trying to get the recipe for), but who also came over on Saturday night to have a real California veggie burger night. (Which they loved.) We also have plans to go get super cheesy pictures taken at some jankie studio on campus. Yessss. It is so typical that now, as I am really emotionally ready to get out of here, people start to be more wonderful than ever, and I am constantly faced with the reality that soon I'll leave, and maybe never see these people again.

This fact has been compounded--HARD--by several recent deaths of people close to people I am close to. I don't want to say "luckily" about these people not being those whom I myself was especially close to, because I have seen the pain in my friend's experience, and that is incredibly difficult to face. Four people have died in the last month, two I knew (not well) and two I did not know at all. It has all sucked equally.

The two I did not know: First, a girl on campus who was affiliated with (but did not live in) my dorm died of malaria about 3 weeks ago. I did not know her, but it was a real wake-up call to everyone, especially me, because I have been taking the multitude of malaria cases of my friends and I very lightly, and honestly (sorry, Mom) have definitely not made it a priority to remember my medication. (I am really trying now.) Second, a good friend of a friend back home was recently killed in a car accident. I have done the only thing I can do from 8,000 miles away, call her, and just let her know I love her and will be home soon. I don't know how to comfort people over the internet. I feel like positive thoughts are my only weapon against grief.

The two I knew: First, a level 400 (senior) girl in my dorm drowned about a month ago. She had literally two months of university left, on the cusp of getting her BA in psychology. She was engaged to be married. Everyone knew her or knew of her. She followed her own rules, she did not apologize for herself--which is incredible. If I could truly explain Ghanaian women to you, you still might not understand how amazing she was. We are all trying to take comfort in the fact that she really did live life the way she wanted to--unafraid and with passion. I am trying to remember this everyday.

The last person: This one was the hardest for me, by far. A guy James, from South Carolina, who had studied in Ghana the fall semester, died about a month ago in a hiking accident. Despite the fact that he was a certified hiking guide, he, for whatever reason, slipped on a trail, fell down a waterfall, and died. When I let myself think about this, I am sometimes paralyzed, I am sometimes nauseous. I did not know him well, although he dated one of the girls on my rugby team, and he traveled to Mole National Park the same week I did--so he will forever be linked in my mind with a 22 hour bus ride and monkey attacks. What is so frustrating, as my friend Maureen explained to me perfectly, is that James went home. He left the scariness and uncertainty of life in Ghana--where people die of malaria, where the water goes out, where animals actually attack, where tro-tro accidents are common occurrences--and he went to a safe place. And he died there. Apparently there is no refuge from life.

These deaths have been weighing heavily on my mind this last month, because I know when I say goodbye, it might really be forever. I am trying more than ever to be thankful for the chances I have been given, that I have had the courage and support to actually take them, that the people I love love me back. With no real safe place, there is no reason to be scared to live.

I love you.

2 comments:

The Bear Family said...

I am so sorry about your friends, Andrea. I wish I could say something comforting, but I don't know what to say. Just know that you are constantly in my thoughts.

Love you.

Ursula said...

Several things. First of all: TAKE YOUR MEDICATION. If you get malaria right before you come home and die of it before I see you again I swear to god I will bring you back to life just so I can kill you again. You are not allowed to die on me. Got it? Good.

Second of all, I agree with what Tyra said. I wish there was something I could say to you, but at this point you have a lot more experience with death than I do... You are amazingly perceptive (that's not news) and you're right - just because the people who died were several degrees removed from you doesn't make you "lucky". Seeing somebody hurt and not really being able do anything about it (short of saying I love you & giving hugs & kisses) is so very painful.

Third, I was talking to my co-worker Shelby a while ago and we somehow started talking about death (which is a weird conversation to have while you're mopping the floors, but anyway...) and she told me this story: She used to work in a doctor's office and one of the women who she worked with told her about a former patient. Apparently this older man had a heart attack - he survived, but the doctor told him afterward that he needed to watch what he ate, etc. So he did. He was really good about it too. Then he sold his house and moved to a place in the country, to be less stressed. Well one day he was out fishing and he was killed by a helicopter that fell out of the sky. (Okay - I know that there are details missing from this story, but I think the bare facts are true). The point is that this guy was doing all the right things to stay healthy and live longer and he still died... So you are spot on when you say that there is no refugee from life. And that sucks, but it's the truth :(

Okay, this was supposed to make you feel better but it's probably just made you feel worse. Sorry. I'll end with a really (oaky, somewhat) inspirational quote:

"To fear death, my friends, is only to think ourselves wise, without being wise: for it is to think that we know what we do not know. For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them: but they fear it as if they knew quite well that it was the greatest of evils. And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that we know what we do not know?”
-Socrates

I love you.