"And when it's over I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to
amazement. I was the bridegroom taking the world into my arms." Mary Oliver


Thursday, January 7, 2010

Congratulations on your penis, really.

Hello!



So much to share and I have forgotten so much already!

So, first, the title of this blog comes from my recent experience with the most selfish (male, only male) co-riders of tro tros I have been coming across with ridiculous frequency this last week. A quick re-cap for those who don't know: A tro tro (from now on referred to as "tro") is a gigantic vehicle something like a 15-passenger van that has had it's original seats removed and much smaller ones installed so any vehicle fits anywhere from 20 to 30 people. Needless to say they get very crowded and very hot, and it is literally the most annoying thing in the entire world when some douche bag man feels he has every right to spread his legs at an angle approaching 180 degrees and squishing me into either another passenger, or the window, or in my favorite example, the metal side of the car forcing me close to concussion every time we hit a bump. I'm really happy for you that you have a freaking penis, really I am, but it just can't be that big that it requires two seats. Seriously irritating.

The last week or so has been fairly uneventful. Except for a pretty gnarly case of food poisoning that I came down with the morning Elena and I were supposed to take Anita, Sena and Claytus to the Volta Region to see the country's highest waterfall, Wli. (I blame a rouge tomato.) Unfortunately, I had to stay behind, which was a bummer, but was actually good, because I can't even begin to think of the pain involved in a 4-hour tro ride with food poisoning. Not to mention climbing to the top of a waterfall. Besides, it gave me a chance to catch up on my South African soap operas, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper (best show ever!) and Oprah circa 2007.

Hmmmm... the African Cup of Nation is officially underway, though Ghana has yet to play a game, as Togo, the opponent in their first match dropped out of the tournament because their bus was attacked by gun fire in Northern Angola and three people were killed. Pretty lame start to the tournament. I honestly don't know much about it, but I'm sure BBC online can give you quite the update.

However, the first match of the tournament, Angola v. Mali was anything but lame! Angola led 4-0 going into the last 30 minutes or so, and managed to score 1 goal fairly early into the second half and then scored 3 goals in the final 16 minutes tying the game! Is was awesome. Elena and I watched the game at Anita's house and then promptly went to bed... even though we had taken a 4 hour nap that afternoon after church. Sometimes hearing sexist sermons about the spiritual benefits of fasting (you had to be there) and being forced to give an "offering" unto the lord even though you neither believe in "him" nor believe in his super-church takes it out of a girl.

Tomorrow begins the Burkina/Mali/etc adventure, so the mundane will most-likely become the ultra ridiculous soon!

I love you.

No comments: