"And when it's over I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to
amazement. I was the bridegroom taking the world into my arms." Mary Oliver


Thursday, August 2, 2007

One Week

Today is the official 1 week anniversary of my time in Ghana. As I mentioned before, it seems like so much longer. My roommate and I figured out that we have been living 16 hour days since we've been here, which does not include any after hour gossiping or messing around or going out. This means our orientation is SCHEDULED to have back to back activity, 16 hours a day. Needless to say, I am exhausted. This is a syndrome made worse by the fact that I attended a reggae festival on the beach last night with almost my entire group of travelers. (60 college students!) There was something absolutely un-pass-upable about dancing with a beer in hand on a beach in Africa. Seriously. It was so much fun. I came prepared with my dancing skirt, 5 cedis ($5) hidden in my bra (petty crime like robbery is an issue here, especially among female albrunis (white people) like myself), and a smile. That was all I needed.

The 50 or so of us boarded 2 tro-tros, which are basically glorified mini-vans, which fit around 20 or so people and run all over the country. They are extrememly dangerous on highways and going long distances quickly, but within cities, like Legon or Accra, the cities I occupy, they are unable to travel at dangerous speeds. We paid 15 pesawas (15 cents) each and were on our way. The festival was very laid back, we bought cheap beer and danced on the beach, and were periodically harrassed by Ghanaian men claiming love and affection. My favorite potential suitor was the one who actually rapped a song at me for about 5 minutes talking about how I was a gift from god for him. I was amused, then supremely uncomfortable, then I ran away to another group I knew.

Today Elena (my roommate), and our friends Bridget, Elliott, and Angelie (sp?) took a tro-tro to Medina, an outdoor market where I purchased BEAUTIFUL fabric to make 2 skirts and a shirt, and hopefully a head scarf to cover my very frizzy hair. The humidity in the air here is maybe my worst enemy. Alas. I also bought pens and a bag to do my shopping in. Plastic bags are a virtual epidimic here. They choke all the sewers, and are literally all over Accra. I have decided to make my best effort to not contribute to the pollution. Elena also bought a pineapple and a huge knife to cut it with. The fruit here is amazing.

Tomorrow I have HELLA (Nor cal? haahhaha) research to do. I have decided to do my independent study on the factors contributing to the high percentage of women with HIV/AIDS here in Ghana. So I must go and sleep. This weekend I will be in Kumasi with my group hopefully having an amazing time. I'll report the craziness soon. I love you.

3 comments:

The Bear Family said...

Aundraya, I am simply jealous! I am glad you are having an amazing time... next time give your suitors more to work with. I expect you to be married by the time you come back to the states.

Unknown said...

Andrea, it sounds like you are having a blast. Its nice to read all the stuff you are doing and its really neat that you get to experience all of it. I cant wait to here when you start school down there.

Unknown said...

Oh and Andrea if you dont know who this is, its Rachel Gaskey. lol. I didnt know if my name showed up or not. but anyways, have fun!