"And when it's over I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to
amazement. I was the bridegroom taking the world into my arms." Mary Oliver


Friday, September 7, 2007

Clean Laundry and Football

Hello again,

So...I have calmed down considerably since the last blog/rant. My schedule has finally been figured out! I am now taking Twi, Economic History of West Africa 1700-1860, The Black Diaspora, Colonial Rule and African Response, and Masterpieces of African Literature. Along with my independent research project (which has changed for the fourth time) examining the creation of women's NGOs in Ghana in the period of 1982-1992(ish...) when Ghana was under a pretty dictatorial government. Who was saying what women's roles were under this military regime? Etc.

In other good news, I gave in to temptation and paid to have 2 loads of laundry washed and dried in machines for me. I think that it was 6 cedis well spent. Especially considering that one of my purses has started to mold...Also, my towel is now both soft and clean, when, up until now it has either been soft and damp (and subsequently kind of smelly) or clean and sand-papery. I can tell you that after a 3.5 minute ice cold shower, neither of these options are that appealing. Oh well.

I have been in Ghana for 6 weeks! I am starting to realize how quickly the year will go by. Now that I have reading assignments, research to do, and football games to attend, I know that this first semester will be gone very quickly. Its both good and bad. In some ways I am so ready to go home. I want to dry my clothes, and take warm showers, and know that the toilets will flush, and not get stared at everywhere I go. But also, there are so many amazing things here. The break down of infrastructure makes everyone work so much harder. This is not a bad thing. People relate to one another in ways that would never happen in America. There is a level of comfortable that I can't describe other than say that people are so open here. About everything. The number of times I have had conversations about bowel movements is huge. Because you have to! Everyone is so willing to help out, and go further, and try harder, because that is just what you do. I hope I will remember those things when I leave.

I bought an orange yesterday using Twi! What an accomplishment! The woman just laughed at me the whole time, but she understood me, and it was amazing! (it was a very good orange too) Also, I watched the live broadcast of the U-17 world cup. The match between Ghana and Spain played on Wednesday morning, in Akuafo Hall, one of the dorms here. It was SO FUN! It was mainly Ghanaian men there, and then me and about 7 other white students, but everyone was screaming and singing and yelling at every call! Ghana lost 2 to 1 in the second overtime, which was heartbreaking but I am now VERY excited to attend some of the Africa Cup games, which will be held in January in Ghana. And, Ghana is the best football team in Africa, so its gonna be CRAZY! I can't wait.

Speaking of crazy. The weekend in Cape Coast was really fun. Elena's birthday was Friday, and so we all drank a lot (I held back as to take care of the birthday girl--who desperately needed it) and then went dancing on the beach. Because I am the best roommate ever, I shoved about a liter of water down Elena's throat, along with a loaf of bread, and she did not vomit and did not have a hangover the next morning. (Thank you, Andrea) The lack of hangover was a good thing because we ended up spending all day Saturday dancing in the streets of Cape Coast in the middle of this huge parade celebrating Cape Coast's New Year. It was wet and cold and so much fun. Other than the fact that some drunk Ghanaian teen poured Guinness in my hair...

On Sunday, we went to Kukum National Park to do the canopy walk. We walked through the top of a rain forest. I have some pretty incredible pictures. I will definitely show you. In 9 months when I come back. Wow...I love you.

No comments: