"And when it's over I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to
amazement. I was the bridegroom taking the world into my arms." Mary Oliver


Thursday, September 27, 2007

Just a Quickie

Wo ho te sen?

I have literally 20 minutes and 17 seconds left to write a quick blog, so forgive the hastiness. Things have been good here on the equator, except it is so hot now, all the time I have no motivation to do anything but read books in my dorm room. I have finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (twice), Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela's Autobiography--amazing) and Drop City by T.C. Boyle. (I don't recommend) and have now started The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, which is supposed to be amazing, and so far, is.

I know. I am so lame. I am in freaking Africa and I am reading American novels. In my defense I did also read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, about the beginnings of colonization in present-day Nigeria. (also amazing) and, it is SO HOT. We are talking 100 degrees (at least) with 100% humidity. It gets unbearably hot by 8:30, and doesn't quit until at least 7pm, and even then, its too hot to sleep, and we can't leave doors and windows open because of the mosquitoes. Needless to say, I smell great all the time.

This weekend I am escaping campus to go to Kokobrite (cocoa-breetay) Beach with Elena, Megan, and our friend Heather. It should be a lot of fun, and will give me a chance to even out the incredible wife-beater tan I have acquired.

Today has started out okay (its currently 9am) I went running with Megan, (something that needs to happen all the time seeing as my Ghanaian diet is starting to consist of white bread and rice) then got breakfast with Elena, which was good except the fly that committed suicide in my coffee--killing my soul a little with it--and am now going to drop some fabric off at my new favorite Seamstress's' place to get two pairs of shorts and a new dress. (I need something to wear in all this heat, jeez) Later I have a presentation for my independent study project...we'll see how it goes.

I'll write about my weekend soon. I love you.

2 comments:

The Bear Family said...

I love quickies! I am glad you are doing well :) thanks for calling the other day, it was wonderful hearing your voice. Sean, Jr, and I have a certian present we want to send you. If you are drawing a black, remember what I bought myself on my 21st birthday :) (besides booze!)

Christopher said...

Hello Ms Andrea!!!
I can't believe how fast time is going by- Your adventures (as always) were fun to read, I only wish that I felt like I could kvetch back...like how long I was waiting in trafic for the Frickin Critical Ass...I mean Mass folks to get out of the way the other evening...or the dumb woman from Iowa who was horrified by San Francisco after choosing this of all weekends to visit. Get this, we had Critcal Mass on Friday, the Love Parade on Saturday, and the Folsom Street Fair yesterday. Visitors must think that SF is one of the wierdest places on the planet...allright, maybe it is a little bit!!
Your diet sounds sucky by the way...I thought you'd planned on having a ton of fruits and veggies?
Take care of yourself :-)